St Helens lifted their fourth Betfred Super League title in as many years last season, and they will be looking to make it five from five in the 2023 campaign. Find out their fixtures and the players that could make a difference in the upcoming year.
The Betfred Super League 2023 season will begin in the early part of the new year, and the reigning champions St Helens are eagerly awaiting its commencement, as they look to defend their crown.
With the fixture list out, the Merseyside club can plan for their opponents, including the big weekend events, such as Magic Weekend and Rivals Round.
Find out who the Saints will be playing each round, the date of the game and where it will be.
We also name some of the key players for the club who could play a vital role in their success once more, ahead of their 150th anniversary season.
And find out how you can get premium tickets to the Totally Wicked Stadium, providing you with an unforgettable matchday experience.Buy St Helens hospitality
St Helens Fixtures 2023
The Betfred Super League fixture list was released on 3rd November 2022.
There were a number of fixed dates for fixtures that were known prior to the fixture list being revealed, such as the start and end date of the regular season, playoff dates and the Grand Final.
The same goes for the Rivals Round and Magic Weekend, two of the biggest and most celebrated weekends on the Super League calendar.
For St Helens, their Round 1 matchup, which is due to be played against the Huddersfield Giants, has been postponed and will be rearranged for a later date.
This is due to the Saints taking part in the returning World Club Challenge game against the Penrith Panthers from the National Rugby League (NRL) in Australia.
The World Club Challenge game is an annual competition contested between the champions of the European Super League and the Australasian Nation Rugby League champions.
The match had been cancelled in 2021 and 2022 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, so it makes its return in 2023 (as will St Helens, who appeared in the 2020 game). The game will be played at the BlueBet Stadium in Sydney, Australia.
The opening round of the Betfred Super League 2023 season will be on Thursday 16th - Sunday 19th of February.
The final round (Round 27) will be on Thursday 21st - Sunday 24th of September. This will conclude the regular season, with the playoffs beginning the following week.
Each team will play 13 home games and 13 away games, and with the Magic Weekend, the total number of games played for every team will be 27.
St Helens’ fixtures (excluding Round 1):
- Round 2 (A): Sunday 26th February, Castleford Tigers vs St Helens, Mend-a-Hose Jungle
- Round 3 (H): Friday 3rd March, St Helens vs Leeds Rhinos, Totally Wicked Stadium
- Round 4 (A): Friday 10th March, Leigh Leopards vs St Helens, Leigh Sports Village
- Round 5 (H): Friday 17th March, St Helens vs Hull FC, Totally Wicked Stadium
- Round 6 (A): Thursday 23rd March, Huddersfield Giants vs St Helens, John Smith’s Stadium
- Round 7 (H): Friday 31st March, St Helens vs Wakefield Trinity, Totally Wicked Stadium
Round 8 will be the Rivals Round, the one weekend of the year where every team in the league will play their biggest rival.
The 2023 Rivals Round will take place on Easter weekend, which will be Thursday 6th - Sunday 9th April, with St Helens away to Wigan Warriors.
Wigan Warriors vs St Helens will be played at the DW Stadium, the home of the Warriors, on Friday 7th April.
- Round 9 (A): Friday 14th April, Hull KR vs St Helens, Sewell Group Craven Park
- Round 10 (H): Thursday 20th April, St Helens vs Warrington Wolves, Totally Wicked Stadium
- Round 11 (A): Friday 5th May, Catalans Dragons vs St Helens, Stade Gilbert Brutus
- Round 12 (H): Saturday 13th May, St Helens vs Salford Red Devils, Totally Wicked Stadium
- Round 13 (A): Friday 26th May, Leeds Rhinos vs St Helens, Headingley Stadium
Magic Weekend is the Super League’s ode to the sport of rugby league, and is a way of promoting the league to the masses by putting on a full weekend of Betfred Super League action all in one place.
St James’ Park, home of Newcastle United FC, is the site of the Magic Weekend once again. It has hosted the weekend six times, more than any other venue.
Magic Weekend 2023 will be held on Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th June, with three games on each day.
St Helens vs Huddersfield Giants will be played at 2:45pm on Sunday 4th June.
- Round 15 (H): Friday 9th June, St Helens vs Wigan Warriors, Totally Wicked Stadium
- Round 16 (A): Saturday 24th June, Hull FC vs St Helens, MKM Stadium
- Round 17 (H): Friday 30th June, St Helens vs Castleford Tigers, Totally Wicked Stadium
- Round 18 (A): Friday 7th July, Warrington Wolves vs St Helens, Halliwell Jones Stadium
- Round 19 (H): Friday 14th July, St Helens vs Catalans Dragons, Totally Wicked Stadium
- Round 20 (H): Friday 28th July , St Helens vs Leeds Rhinos, Totally Wicked Stadium
- Round 21 (A): Sunday 6th August, Salford Red Devils vs St Helens, AJ Bell Stadium
- Round 22 (H): Friday 18th August, St Helens vs Hull KR, Totally Wicked Stadium
- Round 23 (A): Friday 25th August, Castleford Tigers vs St Helens, Mend-a-Hose Jungle
- Round 24 (A): Sunday 3rd September, Wakefield Trinity vs St Helens, Be Well Support Stadium
- Round 25 (H): Friday 8th September, St Helens vs Leigh Leopards, Totally Wicked Stadium
- Round 26 (A): Friday 15th September, Warrington Wolves vs St Helens, Halliwell Jones Stadium
- Round 27 (H): Friday 22nd September, St Helens vs Hull FC, Totally Wicked Stadium
Playoffs - Eliminators, Semi-finals & Grand Final
The regular season will end on Sunday 24th September, and then the first round of the playoffs will begin the following weekend.
First up for the playoffs is the Eliminators, which is for the teams who finished 3rd-6th in the table. The two teams at the top automatically go through to the Semi-finals.
The Eliminators will be played on Friday 29th and Saturday 30th September.
Next up will then be the Semi-finals, where the winners from the Eliminators will face the awaiting teams who finished 1st and 2nd in the table. This round will be played on Friday 6th and Saturday 7th October.
Then comes the Grand Final, the big game to determine the 2023 Betfred Super League champions.
The Grand Final will be played on Saturday 14th October at Old Trafford, home of Manchester United FC.
St Helens Key Players
As the reigning and defending champions, and with their title streak on the line, St Helens will be looking to their key players to make a big difference and help charge them towards glory once more.
James Roby is a veteran for the club, but is quite possibly their most important player. The team captain is a legend of the Super League, holding the record for most appearances in league history with 522.
Even at 37 years old, his impact is highly influential on the team, and he is still very much capable of going with the best in the league, being named to the Super League Dream Team in 2022 for the seventh time.
The Dream Team is made up of the 13 best players in the league in their respective positions over the course of the season. The players are voted in by members of the sports press.
Loose forward Morgan Knowles was named to his fourth successive Dream Team last season, making the team alongside Roby and two other Saints players - Alex Walmsley and Jack Welsby.
All four players have appeared in the team before, showing their class and importance to the success of the club. Expect more of the same from them this coming season.
While he isn’t a player anymore, new head coach Paul Wellens knows the Saints very well, having spent his entire playing career with the side, appearing 495 times for the club.
He understands what it takes to win, having picked up five Super League titles along with five Challenge Cups and two World Club Challenge titles.
It may be his first head coaching role, but he was working under former head coaches Justin Holbrook and Kristian Woolf, who both guided the club to success in their tenures. Wellens should be more than capable of doing the same.
St Helens Hospitality Packages & Premium Tickets
With St Helens going for an unprecedented fifth consecutive league title, every game will be a must-see affair.
Seat Unique are proud to be partnered with St Helens RFC, opening fan access to premium tickets and hospitality packages, providing fans with the opportunity to witness and experience the team in action, live from the best seats in the stadium.
You can benefit from a luxury padded seat in a prime location, access to the premium VIP lounge, pre and post-match entertainment, food and drinks, and more depending on the package.
There are various fair-priced hospitality packages available for every home game at the Totally Wicked Stadium across the 2023 Super League season. Be sure to check them out and see which piques your interest.Buy St Helens hospitality